AWS SUMMIT CAPE TOWN 2018
Amazon Web Services Summit held in Cape Town on the 12 th of July 2018 lived up to expectations, from the level of service, presentation and general organization. My only regret was that I could only attend the summit for a limited time because of other business commitments.
I managed to attend a couple of the talks that covered AWS Cloud computing and mobile, this really blew my mind away – That being said let me give you a brief overview on the big WHY?
- Whether running apps that share photos/videos to millions of users or you’re supporting the critical operations of any business, a cloud services platform provides rapid access to flexible and low-cost IT resources, i.e. AWS Cloud computing.
- With AWS cloud computing, there is no need to make large upfront investments in hardware. Instead, you can provision exactly the right type and size of computing resources you need. You can access as many resources as you need, almost instantly, and only pay for what you use, this is the most cost-effective way forward, with low capital expenditure with potentially great returns on investments all thanks to AWS’s Cloud computing services.
Another aspect that really blew me away was the extent that AWS is and will be going with Mobile development.
Tools for Building Mobile Apps:
AWS Mobile Hub:
- AWS Mobile Hub guides you through feature selection and configuration, and automatically provisions the AWS services required for the features in your app.
AWS Mobile SDK:
- The AWS Mobile SDK makes it easy for your app to directly access AWS services, including Amazon Lambda, S3, DynamoDB, and more. The Mobile SDKs support iOS, Android, Web, React Native, Unity and Xamarin.
- Sign-in UI with MFA Login with Facebook, Google and Twitter.
- Add user sign-up and sign-in work flows for customer onboarding with support for multifactor authentication to your apps with a fully managed service. You can also authenticate users through social identity providers such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. This feature is powered by Amazon Cognito.
- Store and retrieve user photos, profile info and settings instantly. Store and sync user data such as user profiles, settings, game progress, or store user files like photos. This feature is powered by Amazon Cognito and Amazon S3.
SERVERLESS CLOUD FUNCTIONS:
- Run code without thinking about servers.
- Create a mobile backend without provisioning or managing servers. Just upload your code and invoke it using APIs from your mobile app. They will take care of everything required to run and scale your code. This feature is powered by Amazon API Gateway and AWS Lambda.
- Fast and flexible NoSQL database that scales.
- Store and query your app data using a fully managed cloud database that provides consistent and fast service at any scale. This feature is powered by Amazon DynamoDB.
- Deep learning conversational interface for your app.
- Create engaging conversational experiences for common app scenarios such as booking tickets, ordering products, logging tickets with customer support, querying an internal IT helpdesk system, and more. Powered by Amazon Lex.
HOST YOUR WEB APP:
- Distribute hosted content to your users over a CDN.
- Store app assets like media files in the cloud, download and cache them in your app. Use a CDN to distribute content to your users with low latency and high transfer speeds. This feature is powered by Amazon S3 and Amazon CloudFront.
TEST ON REAL DEVICES:
- Run unit tests in the cloud. Test on 100+ iOS and Android phones.
- Improve the quality of your iOS, Android, and web apps by testing them on real phones and tablets in the AWS Cloud. This feature is powered by AWS Device Farm.
- Engage your audience
- Gain insight into your mobile app usage.
- Collect information about the ways in which your customers use your applications, as well as information about the devices they use. Powered by Amazon Pinpoint.
- Send SMS notifications to a channel.
- Increase user engagement by sending SMS text messages to individuals or groups of users. You can send just a few messages or scale to billions of messages a day. This feature is powered by Amazon Pinpoint.
- Create campaigns based on application usage, device capabilities, or demographics.
- Increase user engagement by sending in-app mobile push notifications to Apple iOS based devices through APNS and APNS Sandbox, and to Google Android based devices through the GCM or FCM notification services. This feature is powered by Amazon Pinpoint.
The above is a small grain of sand in comparison to what was shared on this amazing day at the AWS summit – Oh and I forgot to mention the networking. AWS provided free food and drinks for everyone during the event and guess what the event was also free.
Well done Amazon! See you next year for sure.